Alcoholism and Family

Soberlink is a popular choice for individuals who need to prove sobriety to their family or for child custody privileges. Soberlink makes alcohol monitoring a more convenient and non-invasive process when compared to urine testing, ankle bracelets, or large in-home alcohol monitoring systems.

Soberlink and Child Custody

Soberlink is used to promote safer parenting time in child custody situations. Below are the three levels of service offered by Soberlink. 

Level 1: Independent Monitoring Agreement

Soberlink is often used by motivated individuals to prove sobriety when sharing parenting time. An Independent Monitoring contract with Soberlink is an agreement that puts the controls in the Participant’s hands and allows them to customize their own program (i.e. testing schedule and protocols for non-compliance). The easy-to-use Soberlink web portal will allow the Participant to create their own schedule and set up Contacts to be notified of non-compliance, such as a drinking event or missed tests. Generally this type of monitoring is not court ordered, it is a mutual agreement between the two parties. Under this level, the parties or individuals involved should understand that this type of monitoring doesn’t carry as much weight when compared to using third party monitoring services.

  • An Independent Monitoring Agreement is signed, stating you choose to control all of the testing protocols
  • Soberlink will train the Participant and other parties on how the system works and assist in technical support throughout the program
  • A Soberlink Account Manager will not be actively involved with your program


Level 2: Soberlink Family Law Monitoring

If a case is court ordered or considered high-risk, we recommend using Soberlink Family Law Monitoring services. There is more involved with getting started under this level. The Concerned Party, with the help of a Soberlink account manager, will need to fill out an in-depth protocol detailing testing requirements and consequences for non-compliance.

  • A protocol must be established by the Concerned Party and their legal team
  • Soberlink suggests the protocol be filled out and signed by the Concerned Party in the presence of the Participant, to ensure everyone is on the same page
  • An agreement must be signed by the Participant (person being monitored) to ensure they understand and agree to the protocol outlined by the Concerned Party
  • The parties involved will need to decide what happens in the event of non-compliance. Soberlink does not make any decisions on behalf of the Concerned Party or Participant
  • Soberlink Account Managers will help with set up, facilitate schedule changes, help evaluate drinking events, and provide ongoing support while the device is in use


Level 3: Authorized Soberlink Provider

We recommend using an Authorized Soberlink Provider if a case is court ordered, considered high-risk, or requires more intense monitoring. These providers have been certified by Soberlink, and have many years of Family Law experience, including Certified Addiction Specialists and Legal expertise.

  • The Authorized Soberlink Provider will help make decisions before and during the Soberlink Program
  • Providers offer case management, reporting, and clinical monitoring services
  • Supplemental urine testing is also available


Review the Terms of Use and decide which level of service best fits your situation. Regardless of the level of service, Soberlink will not activate a device until the required
paperwork is read, understood, and filled out in full.